Checklist For Evaluating Assisted Living Facility
- How important is proximity to friends and loved ones?
- What transportation options do visitors have?
- Is the facility located in an acceptable neighborhood? Is it safe to be outside at night?
- Does your loved one have preferred a location (i.e. near a Church)?
Health & Safety
- What level of medical care and support is provided and how is it integrated into the residents’ lives?
- What level of training or accreditation does the medical staff have?
- Is there a separate care area for various levels of support (i.e. speech therapy or memory care)?
- Is there a schedule for daily checking-ins?
- Are the hallways and stairs well lit, with obvious fire safety systems and security?
- Does each room have housekeeping and laundry services?
- Do rooms have their own bathrooms, and are they equipped with handrails and call buttons?
- Do the residents themselves seem happy with their surroundings?
- Could you see yourself living in this facility?
- How do residents get around in the community? Are there transportation services?
- Is it possible for residents to go somewhere on short notice?
- Can residents visit family whenever they please?
- Does the facility provide at least three meals each day?
- Are the meals something you wouldn’t mind eating? (try one while you’re visiting)
- Do the meals seem nutritious and well-balanced?
- Does the facility offer on-site banking, a beauty salon or barber, convenient store, or a post office?
- Can this facility accommodate any special dietary restrictions, preferences, or needs?
- Is there obvious evidence of resident participation in the community?
- Are there a daily / weekly social events? Off-campus activities?
- Does the facility have onsite worship services – or do they provide transportation to offsite ones?
- Are pets allowed?
- What is the interaction like between staff, visitors, and residents?
- Do the residents and staff seem to have a pleasant relationship? Make sure to ask some residents!
- Is the staff readily available 24 hours a day?
- Do staff greet you when you arrive? Do they seem happy to see you?
- Is there an initial entrance fee?
- What is the monthly fee (or rent)?
- Is there a security deposit? Is it refundable?
- What additional services and amenities are there? And are they an added expense?
- Are utilities included? What about phone or WiFi?
- Are there any regular fee-increases?
- What happens if your financial situation changes?
- What happens if your level of need increases?
- Are there any programs that might assist with costs?
Reading the Fine Print
- Is the contract easy to read and understand?
- Are all costs, services, and provisions clearly outlined in a residence contract?
- Is living space held for a resident if they require an extended stay in the hospital?
- If a resident’s financial situation changes, or if they decide to move out for other reasons, what are the financial penalties you might incur?